Thursday, May 10, 2012

Single and Blessed

I recently sat in a worship service at my church and listened intently as my pastor began to start a new series called Modern Family. However, where he started kind of shocked me. He began with all the people that were single and gave a message titled Single and Blessed. As I sat through it and took notes as best I could, I simply couldn't get everything down. So I took some time over the next couple of days to listen again to the message and continue my note taking. I felt lead to share what I wrote down.

The world today, including Christians, feel that having a significant other is needed in order to be happy, and hopefully, as you read through my notes, you will be able to understand that is not the case. I am trying to learn as best I can to rely on my God and remember that being single is okay because I am able to devote my time to him and not focus on someone else.


"You cannot build your life on drawing your significance from some other person
your significance must come from your relationship with Jesus Christ."

Single and Blessed 
I Corinthians 7:25-40

I: Being single is a most blessed state!
  A) God's word on the matter:
     -Paul said, you must have a change of mind on this kind of thinking
         -v. 25: Paul lets you know that Jesus has never addressed this but Paul has an opinion about it, a godly opinion. And he speaks with authority. It is not an issue of good or bad. For those who find themselves in singleness, it is a most blessed state. 
  B) It is a blessing to my life…what do you mean?
-Don't feel like its a blessing because of the worldly ideas placed in our minds
-God says [the Bible], "Being content in whatever state you are in is a blessing from God."   
      ***Just Remember*** 
God has a wonderful plan for our life…and we can be content with the position that we are in we can understand that we are on the right path to a deeper experience and relationship with Christ
II: Being Single is a less burdened state!
   A) Benefits of being single
       -Less stressed with life and in serving God v. 32
           -Don't have to worry about distractions when you're worshipping God because there is no need to have a desire to please the worldly desires as in a married life (v. 28)
     ***Two Important things***
1)Being married does not mean that you can't be totally devoted to Christ; you just have more things to take care of and give your attention to
2) Being single does not mean that you are totally devoted to Christ either, it does mean that you are less burdened in this life
III: Being Single is a most fulfilled state!
    A) A fulfilling conviction
-Only Christ can make us whole, can make us complete
-If you are single and you aren't happy…What's you relationship with Jesus like?
-It becomes fulfilled in your life when you understand that Jesus is all you need
    B) A confusion in our day on being single
-Because we aren't aware that being single could be God's plan for our life
-"As soon as you're satisfied with God alone, He'll bring someone special to your life"
-That's not right, according to God's word. Being single is okay and could 
be His plan A for your life. 

No comments: